20090109

Macro Play


Liberty

Out of Many, One

Phrygian Cap

Touch

An old Mercury Dime I recently found inspired me to do a little macro photography one uneventful day during winter break.

The first image is lit using a bare flash fired very close to the subject. The other images were lit using two small flashlights and some small DIY light modifiers, including a translucent 35mm film canister acting as a micro cylindrical softbox. The background used for the first two images is a roll of cobolt-blue painter's tape, a piece of black cotton cloth was used the the latter two. All images shot hand-held. Post-processing done through Adobe Lightroom, with (smart) sharpening aplied through Adobe Photoshop CS2.

~1:1 - 1.5:1 macro ratios.

Nikon D300
Nikon Ai 55mm f/2.8 macro lens + extention tube.
Nikon SB800 Speedlight flash
-off camera hotshoe cord
Blue LED Maglite
White LED flashlight
Adobe Lightroom


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the mixed lighting on the dime. where did you find that old thing?

mattbell said...

It's kind of funny, actually..

I stopped at a gas station coming down 64 on the way to Asheboro from Raleigh. And in the back of the store near the restrooms there's an old Galaga arcade machine and a little gumball/toy machine. But in stead of typical cheap knick-knacks each of the little plastic bubble continers held different coins, some foreign, some old US coins.

I stuck in 50¢ and out popped a Mercury Dime, well worth the money in my opinion.

I believe it was a Citgo, but I don't remember exactly were it was. If you want to try to find it, here's how I remember it:

I remember that after you get past Raleigh and Apex, the few stations scattered along the empty stretches between towns hike-up their gas price. And this gas station was one of the first stations with lower/normal prices, just before driving into Ramseur.. I think... I know it was by itself, at least. I don't remember there being any other stations or businesses adjacent to it.