20120622

Kara - Tests




Kara

Kara - film test

Testing a new set of Hasselblad extension tubes and an expired mystery film.

Technical info after the jump.


Hasselblad 500C/M
Hasselblad 150mm f/4 C lens
-with 21mm extension tube
-and 10mm extension tube
Kodak T-Max 400 120 film
Kodak HC-110 (B) developer
20ºC - 5.5min

Nikon F3

Nikon Ai 50mm f/1.4 lens
(expired) Kodak High Speed Holographic SO-253 35mm film (ISO 6?)
Kodak HC-110 (B) developer
20ºC - 6.5min
Scanned in color and b&w, then overlaid.


Note: I do not know if I exposed and/or developed this film correctly.

I bought the film from a Goodwill in Burlington, NC for $2. It came as a 150ft bulk roll, with an expiration date of 01/05, and full name/label is:

Kodak High Speed
Holographic Film SO-253 (Estar Base)
35 mm x 45.7 m • 150 ft Perforated
Sp 688
Cat 162 0079

This is the first (modern) film I've ever used that I could not find any examples or development information online. I found a few scientific and technical manuals (PDFs) that mentioned the film. From what little I could understand, I believe it to be a special order (technical pan?) black and white film used in laser holography. It may have a selective color sensitivity (red?). And may require bleaching during development. The unexposed film is cyan in color with a semi-transparent/clear base.

I tested the film by bracketing from 6 ISO to 400 ISO in 1-stop increments using Kara as my model lit by two 500w tungsten hot lights each modified with a 2ft x 3ft softbox. I processed it in HC-110 (dilution 'B') for 6.5 minutes, based on the medium time for developing Kodak Technical Pan film.

Most of the roll was blank with only ISOs 6, 12, and 25 showing an image. There did not seem to be any information printed on frame edges. And the film was badly fogged in a dingy yellow color, appearing worst on the edges. I am not sure if this is due to being developed incorrectly, using past expiration, and/or being stored in a warm/hot environment.

2 comments:

Artfreaq said...

Great shot. I would like to invite you to share your photographs over our small art and photography community designartprint.com

Anonymous said...

The facial detail is stunning. I got a roll and it is not fogged. I also used HC110, dilution B, but for 9 minutes. Shooting at 6 seems to work pretty well, stop and fix as per usual. I bleached out the sensitizing dyes using a 60% isopropyl alcohol and 40% water mixture, rinsed until the film was no longer blue or magenta. I think about 3 or 4 minutes. It is definitely a high contrast film.