20081230


I gots me a Graflex field camera!*

I won a bid on a 1950s Graflex Peacemaker Crown Graphic 4x5 field camera!!

..for under $70 bucks!!!

And even with shipping and insurance it's only a few cents over $100.

It's a full kit including the camera, large metal case, 10 film holders, a flash bulb lamp (no flash bulbs included), an assortment of cable and air release cords, and original manuals/literature. And it all appears to be in really good condition.

But there is some significant risk: the seller stated outright that the item(s) are being sold "as is". He/she photographed everything pretty thoroughly, but doesn't know cameras/photography and didn't photograph the camera open. so, i don't know the condition of the more vital parts like the lens, bellows, track guides, etc. I don't even have a guarantee that there is even a lens...

But judging on all the other images, I'm going to make an ass-out-of-u-and-me that there's a lens tucked safely inside (that probably hasn't seen the light of day in decades). It'll most likely be a 135mm f/4.7 Graflex Optar lens or 127mm f/4.7 Kodak Ektar lens (this model's factory lenses ranged from a 90mm wide-angle to 162 short-telephoto).

Worst case scenario: it's a scam and the camera's completely thrashed/gutted, I could still sell the film holders and accessories separately and make back my money.

So, granted nothing's hatched yet, and I'm already counting the hell out of these eggs.. but DAMN I'm excited!

Item number: 120355274690

*image and info ganked from graflex.org


No comments: