20081102

Fisheye Fortepan


Riding with Paige

Riebekah's Friend's

Riebekah's Friend's

Riebekah's Friend's

Riding with Paige

ok, so this one's actually Plus-X*

Nikon F2
Nikon Ai 16mm f/2.8 fisheye lens
Fortepan 400 35mm film


I've never used Fortepan black and white before. I picked it up from the expired film bin at Peace Camera out of curiosity (expired 2007). It's not a bad film, but nothing I'd go out of my way to acquire. I still know little about it, but it seemed to behave like any-other tradition B&W (T-Max-esque) film. The only difference: it required a 11.5 minute developing time in D-76 (at 20°C) for its defined ISO of 400. Though, on its developing instructions described this time as more appropriate for 200 ISO (huh?).

The fisheye lens I'm borrowing from Bryan, the photographer I'm currently interning with. I really enjoy wide angle lenses. I consider the Nikon Ai 20mm f/2.8, that I often check out from school, as my all-time favorite (full-frame) lens. But after shooting with the Nikon Ai 16mm f/2.8 lens, it kind of seems like too much. It's definitely a fun lens to play with, and maybe the roll of Scotchchrome I also shot while using it will reveal better results, but it just seemed difficult to control. There is nothing the lens doesn't see (180° FOV) but at the same time, everything not near the center is too distorted to see well. But mounted to my Rebel XT (using an F-to-EOS adapter) it becomes a nice, average wide angle, 25.5mm equivilent lens.

*ok, so that last one was actually Plus-X

No comments: